Attorney General Todd Blanche says the Trump administration believes Congress has already authorized construction of President Donald Trump’s White House ballroom, even as a federal appeals court has ordered above-ground ballroom construction halted unless the Supreme Court intervenes.
Blanche Says Congress Already Granted Authority
“We don’t believe we have to go to Congress. We believe Congress has already given us the authority to do what we’re doing,” Blanche told Fox News late on Sunday, arguing previous presidents undertook substantial White House work under authority Congress had already provided.
The dispute centers on a planned 90,000-square-foot ballroom on the site of the demolished East Wing. A divided U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled on Aug. 7 that Trump lacked unilateral authority to proceed without congressional approval, writing that “Each President is a temporary tenant, not the owner, of the White House.” The court temporarily stayed its order to allow an appeal.
Supreme Court Fight Turns On Security
Trump’s administration asked the Supreme Court on Friday to keep construction moving while it appeals. Solicitor General D. John Sauer called the project part of an integrated military complex and argued its secure ballroom was essential to national security.
Blanche echoed that argument on Sunday. “It’s also a meaningful upgrade and necessary part of the security of this city and the security of the president and his family,” he said, adding that it was not merely “a place for world leaders to come and have dinner.”
Trump has repeatedly rejected the need for congressional approval and called the appeals-court decision a “National Disgrace.”
Funding Scrutiny Adds To Ballroom Battle
The National Trust for Historic Preservation sued after Trump ordered the East Wing demolished last fall. The appeals court said national-security concerns did not eliminate the requirement for congressional authorization.
The fight has also drawn scrutiny over costs and funding. Congressional Democrats have sought greater oversight, while questions persist over security-related appropriations and private donations.
Blanche, as things stand, says the administration expects the Supreme Court to side with Trump. “We’re hopeful that the Supreme Court recognizes that so we can get the ballroom finished as soon as possible,” he said.
Photo courtesy: Jack Gruber-USA TODAY-Imagn
Recent Comments