Retired four-star Gen. Jack Keane says he believes President Donald Trump is moving steadily toward a decision to use military force against Iran, even as Washington and Tehran pursue fragile nuclear talks.
Keane Warns Of Larger, Regime-Shaking Campaign
“Obviously, the president has yet to make the decision about that military option, but obviously, we can see what’s taking place,” Keane said in a radio interview on The Cats Roundtable that aired Sunday. “And in my mind, I believe that decision will eventually be made.”
Keane, a former Army vice chief of staff and regular Trump adviser, warned that any future campaign would be “much larger” than past strikes, predicting it would hit Iran’s civilian and military leadership, critical infrastructure and ballistic missile forces.
He said such an operation, involving US forces alongside Israel, could be “quite formidable” and put the Islamic Republic “on a pathway to regime collapse,” giving Washington “significant leverage” over a weakened government.
Pentagon Plans For Potential Weeks-Long Operations
His comments come as the Pentagon quietly prepares for the possibility of weeks-long operations against Iran if Trump orders an attack, US officials told Reuters, describing planning that goes well beyond last year’s one-night “Midnight Hammer” strikes on nuclear facilities.
At the same time, US and Iranian officials are testing diplomacy. Indirect talks in Oman earlier this month, focused on Iran’s nuclear program, were described by both sides as a “good start” but left major gaps over Washington’s demand that Tehran halt uranium enrichment, a step Iran says it will not accept.
Diplomacy Continues As US Sends More Firepower
Trump on Friday said he still hopes for a negotiated deal and confirmed that the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, and its escorts are being sent to the Middle East to join other US warships off Iran’s coast. “I think they’ll be successful. And if they’re not, it’s going to be a bad day for Iran, very bad,” he told reporters at the White House.
As per a separate Associated Press report, Swiss officials said on Saturday that the United States and Iran will hold a second round of Oman-mediated, indirect talks in Geneva next week.
Photo Courtesy: Below the Sky on Shutterstock.com
Recent Comments